Thursday, July 16, 2009

To live.


We are happier in many ways when we are old than when we were young. The young sow wild oats. The old grow sage. -Winston Churchill

I like this quote. I think because I tend to fear becoming old. It seems to be the breakdown of two major things...
-physical
-Emotional


But why fear the inevitable. God had a reason to Create beings in such a manner.I have been wondering Why this wold be the case. Then it hit me.
In so many old people they can keep their physical bodies healthy but in most cases there does come a point where it is just out of their hands. The long process that starts from birth picks up it's pace.
Also I have noticed that emotionally, life becomes difficult. Maybe it is just out of the pure frustration with their physical self. Or maybe it is just their mind giving up to what seems they are unable to outrun any longer.
However out of all of these frustrating breakdowns and deterioration of the body and mind, the one thing that only seems to grow stronger and more intense is the Spirit. I have seen so many elderly where their last years, weeks, and even days are their strongest with the Lord. God is preparing us to release our flesh to be with him for eternity.


I remember when I was about 8 moths pregnant my midwife said to me "I think it is great that God makes pregnancy more and more uncomfortable the longer you are pregnant. That way by the end you are willing to go through the immense pain in birth to be relieved of all the discomfort. It is seemingly only ways to prepare your mind to want to do this one thing that you fear for so long."


I think that this completely applies to life. Discomfort is seemingly one of the only ways for God to prepare us to leave our loved ones here on earth and the only 'home' we have known to truly come home to Him.

I can't wait to grow sage.
This makes me happy.

1 comment:

Angela Jensen said...

Wow. Evie, that is truly a profound thought. As I have grown older, I have found that I fear it less. And I believe that lack of fear is directly related to the growth of my spirit, just as you said. After a person lives through tragedy and pain, joy and contentment, you have to wonder: Is there really much more to experience? Perhaps the only thing left to experience is life after this one, in a place far different than anything we have ever known or experienced. Yes, it is frightening to imagine that kind of change. Not too many people love change. Most people would rather stay with what they know, even if it doesn't necessarily live up to the expectations that they had when they were younger. The body begins to give out but the spirit gets sweeter. Fear of dying to the body lessens as it begins to show signs of wearing out. The idea of changing it in for a new one becomes better and better.

:) Thanks for sharing!

I love you!
Momma